Perhaps you have seen those blocks of what look like garbled pixels on labels, with directions instructing you to scan them with your smartphone. Those two-dimensional squares are called QR codes and they are starting to become widely popular worldwide as well as providing other benefits for businesses.
What are QR codes?
QR (Quick Response) codes can be found in many different industries and are mostly used as an advertising and marketing tool by companies. They are scanned with phone apps which can be downloaded on any smartphone to read the information the code contains. The QR codes basically connect traditional marketing with the online world. A customer viewing a label could scan the code, go to a landing page, and get more information about the company.
The information can be almost anything that is online–literally! A simple line of text, a whole website, or even a picture. QR codes are like real life links, your smartphone acting as your real-life computer mouse.
Creating a QR code is also very simple. QR code providers can be found on the Internet – and you can simply enter the link you want the destination to be, and the generator throws out a QR code for you to download and use.
Why are QR codes important?
Some of you might be thinking, “How can a QR code help my business?” Think of them as giving you the ability to add supplemental information and advertising to a label that has limited space. They are cheap to make and can aid in your web presence as well.
Here are some ideas to consider.
- Social media is important for any company and QR codes can be incorporated on custom labels and stickers that can take the customer straight to your Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, or other profiles. Add extra incentive and give a discount to customers who use the code to follow or check-in to your company’s profiles!
- Or, you can skip the link to social media and get straight to rewarding customers. Use the QR code as a ready-to-scan coupon. You can also save money on printing costs by using QR codes as paperless coupons, too.
- Content is always king, and your QR code can link to supplemental content which also promotes your product. Think how to videos, articles, and other similar online content.
- Want to expand on information about your product? Nutritional Facts and Recipes are sometimes revised due to space. Use the QR code! Reduce the clutter on your label and still provide your customer with all the information they by using the QR code as an “extension” to your label.
- Is your business hosting an event? You can use a QR code to advertise it on your labels and stickers. Customers can use the QR code to RSVP to the event.
- You can use the QR code as a means for customers to be connected directly to your website. A great way to implement contact information for them to reach your business is to direct them to a QR code on your labels.
- Finally, you can go simply direct customers to your website which will in turn help build your web presence.
If your business is looking for a new, enticing way to build their web presence–and revenue– just consider making custom labels and stickers with QR codes. They are an economically efficient way to convey tons of information about your product in less space.